First aid is about providing initial care for an illness or injury. The 3 keys aims of First Aid are:
- Preserving Life
- Prevent further harm
- Promote Recovery
Many parents are aware of the necessity of First Aid but don't necessarily always take responsibility to learn it themselves. Most get away with this but for the odd parent it has turned out to be the wrong decision because knowing what to do in the first few minutes of an emergency can be critical.
First Aid Topics
In the list below are just some of the things you can learn about during First Aid training:
- Allergic reactions
- Asthma attacks
- Bites & Stings
- Bleeding heavily
- Drowning Child
- Epileptic seizure
- Febrile seizure
- Fractured Bones
- Head injury
- Heart Attack
- Hyperthermia (Heat Exhaustion / Heat Stroke)
- Hypothermia (cold)
- Vomiting and diarrhoea
First Aid Tips
- It is beyond the scope of this small article to provide detailed advice on all the above skills since there are plenty of other resources out there to do that. However, we have recommended some good links to get you started.
- Improving your knowledge in this area is well worth the small investment and there are 3 ways to get yourself trained. We would recommend all three but item1 is by far the best.
- Take a Certified First Aid Course given by a reputable company. This is usually only a half to 1 day session costing in the region of GBP100-GBP150/ $150 - $220 (UK/US)
- Study training DVDs with interactive quizzes that cost as little as GBP15 / $20. (UK/US)
- Search out free high quality online training information too which is definitely worth a look. See the resources below for some examples.
Whether you are a parent or carer, it really will make a world of difference to have a great understanding of First Aid when it really matters. You really do have the ability to save a life.
These videos cover the following subjects - 'Allergic reaction', 'Asthma attack', 'Bleeding heavily', 'Broken bone', 'Burns', 'Choking baby', 'Choking child', 'Croup', 'Epileptic seizure', 'Febrile seizure', 'Fever', 'Head injury', 'Meningitis', 'Nosebleed', 'Poisoning / harmful substances', 'Unconscious and breathing baby', 'Unconscious and breathing child', 'Unconscious not breathing baby', 'Unconscious not breathing child' and 'Vomiting and diarrhoea'.
These videos cover the following topics - 'Asthma attack', 'Choking', 'Croup', 'Dehydration', 'Fever', 'Head injuries', 'Hypothermia', 'Meningitis', 'Nose bleeds', 'Seizures (fits)', 'Unconscious and breathing child', 'Unconscious and breathing baby (under one year old)', 'Unconscious and not breathing child' and 'Unconscious and not breathing baby (under one year old)'.